Thursday, February 18, 2010

Immune systems are down, while napping skills are at an all time high.

Yes it's true, I have somehow managed to get myself sick with some form of strep for the 3rd time within... less than 12 months I think. I asked the doctors if this was unusual and they said it was viral. I couldn't think much after that because I was too distracted by the thought of "Pants on the Ground"- the American Idol hit that Simon promised would go viral. Glad that I can blame my easily distracted mind on the sickness!

So anyway it has also allowed me to get to know the campus quite well... or at the very least the path between my dorm hall and the health office. Unfortunately, the NZ culture is not working with me- the whole "lets all be outgoing and friendly to the new kid" attitude is fantastic, except for when you have lost your voice and can only make a sentence with extreme amounts of energy exerted. And even then this voice sounds quite manly. In any case, after my health office visit and the discovery that they don't have a pharmacy on campus (this should not have come as a surprise) I took a stroll into town to the closest one, and made quite a few discoveries along the way...

- The honey does not come in cute little plastic bears, rather it comes in jars. Thus when I came home and added it to my tea, I was amazed to find that I have been making my tea with approximately 3 spoonfuls of honey for most of my life. No wonder it always tastes so much better when I make it myself instead of getting it from Java Jones!

-No saltine crackers. Devastating discovery to say the least. They might be labeled as salad crackers- although I couldn't be sure so I went with Ritz instead.

- The ice cream is way better here. Alright fine, I've known that since the first day I got here, but still. I treated myself to a double scoop of Boysenberry ice cream for my walk home and am still so pleased that they know how to make my favorite dessert here. (They have one called Hokey Pokey too!) Sadly they do not have my favorite- they always have orange chip instead of mint chocolate chip... maybe I've just been going in the wrong places, but I'm okay with expanding my horizons. :)

- The younger children wear bright vests when they are walking home from school. The kind that traffic workers wear. This knowledge combined with their outstanding HUGE signs of "smoking kills" on every pack of cigarettes really makes me happy. Either New Zealanders are incredibly smart when it comes to taking care of themselves or America is just.. er, not smart. Hmmm.....

I'll sign off with that. It's time for more tea and nap number 2 of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment