Wednesday, February 24, 2010

School, Vineyards, Hitchiking, oh my!

So this week has been crazy fantastic- I've got some spectacular classes (which you already know about if you read previous blog post) and meeting some interesting people in all of them. And the Professors are so friendly! I don't mind having small classes in the slightest. Although, it is forcing me to be on top of my game when it comes to reading and whatnot since I can't hide behind 200 other students when they ask a question. I also signed up for... The Alpine Club (basically outdoors club), Env Club, and Netball- kind of like US version of basketball I guess. Obviously I won't be good at it but it'll be fun to try and meet people because I definitely won't be getting into rugby anytime soon...

Lab for Viticulture includes keeping my own row of grapes! They're Pinot Noir and they are pretty darn cute for wine grapes, if I do say so myself. I ended up getting assigned to this row with another UCSB kid, too- so naturally it will be producing THE BEST wine at the end of the semester. Although, note to us, when we're out plucking leaves it is definitely good to have sunscreen. The days have still been good to us and there is lots and lots of sun. Though as I look out my window clouds do seem to be moving in... which would not be ideal for my weekend plans!

Hitchiking down to Dunedin to visit the Otago campus and meet up with some of the cool kids I met at EAP Orientation in Auckland. Yes that's right I am getting down there via hitchiking. I know I've discussed the pros and cons of this with quite a few of you already but I'm sooooooooooo excited it's going to be great. I'm going with Nick (actually, same guy from SB discussed earlier) and he got around the whole North Island doing it and seems to have met some crazy cool people so I'm really quite stoked on the whole idea, especially since I have a seasoned person to accompany me. My backpack is packed and is as ready to go as much as I am, I'm sure.

Hope everyone has as great of a weekend as I'm prepared for!

2 comments:

  1. okay, hitchhiker kiwi girl--how was your weekend? Happy there were no tsunamis coming at you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me to update! New post just for you Mom #2 :) And yes, I was pretty excited to not be washed away. I've only been here a month they gotta work harder than that to scare me away from this island!

    ReplyDelete