Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Field Trip Days Rock My World...

Hey guys so this will probably be a short update since it's way past my bedtime (alright it's only 11:55 but still, usually try to make bedtime 12 when I've got school to wake up for). But anyway this past weekend was awesome since it started on Friday when I got my first field trip day! With my nature and heritage interp class I went into Christchurch to the Antarctic Museum ,Christchurch Museum, and then up to the Port Hills which overlook Christchurch.
So the antarctic museum was just plain fun. There was a room that imitated a "summer" storm from the Antarctic where the winds were a mere 26 mph in the snow! In the winter apparently they can reach up to 200 mph, so that was a light breeze. Despite all this though, I still want to make the Antarctic a place to go visit now. (In the summer, obviously).So for picture 1, I'm not sure why my girlfriends are smiling- clearly it is serious business driving a snowmobile around the Antarctic!
And picture number 2 is my buddy Orlando, she's blind in one eye but they do a rescue mission at the center so she get's to hang out there! I thought she was pretty darn cute.
The Christchurch Museum had this place called the Paua Shell House that was originally made by these 2 kiwis Fred and Myrtle. Apparently they really liked these shells, and made their house into a type of sharing place for them until the passed away, and the museum tried to replicate their house as closely as possible- so this is what their living room actually looked like. So Fred and Myrtle definitely look like people that were fun to meet!
















The Port Hills were amazing, just a gorgeous view of Christchurch, got to speak to a park ranger- made me miss Tahoe days! And lots of day hikes to conquer in weekends to come.


Then I got to go to my first Rugby Game on Saturday! Christchurch Crusaders vs. the Auckland Blues.They reeeeeeeeally enjoy the Wave there. I mean, kiwis clearly think it is THE coolest thing since sliced bread. Or something. Although I really didn't have a clue what was going on for most of the game, I did rush the field with Malia after the game so we could get signatures and pictures with the players- since they're pretty much the equivalent of a Hollywood celeb in Christchurch. I think the little kids trying to get their autographs were a littlleee confused by us being there in the mix...



And this week it's off to the Wildfoods Festival to celebrate Allie's birthday, one of the girls from UCSC- the big 2-1 for her! I'll be sure to post pix of that next week. Love to all

1 comment:

  1. MzLz,

    Love your posts! Keep 'em coming for those of us "stateside".
    Beware the rugby players!
    PS: you will need a big fur hat with ear flaps for Antarctica!
    Love, momtwo

    ReplyDelete